Ready for a new challenge?
WHEREVER YOU ARE IN THE WORLD, WE INVITE YOU TO JOIN THE UCD BUSINESS ALUMNI CHALLENGESign uploginadd distance
These one-pot meatballs can be whipped up in 25 minutes and served as a delicious high-protein evening meal. Eat with rice or potato to add some carbohydrate for energy on your training days or simply on their own with some vegetables if you don’t need the extra carbs.
For the sauce
• 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Onion (white, peeled and diced)
• 2 clove Garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
• ½ Red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
• ½ tsp Cumin (ground)
• ½ tbsp Paprika
• 7 Cherry tomatoes (200g, halved)
• 1 Tin of tomatoes (1 tin, chopped)
For the meatballs
• 500 g Ground beef (lean)
• 2 Free-range egg (beaten)
• 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
• ½ Onion (red, finely chopped)
• 1 tsp Cumin (ground)
• 2 clove Garlic (peeled and crushed)
• ½ tbsp Paprika
• 1 Head of broccoli (broken into florets)
• 50 g Cheddar cheese (grated)
Preheat oven to 180°C.
For the sauce, get a non-stick, oven-friendly frying pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion for 2 minutes over medium heat until beginning to soften.
Add the garlic, chilli, cumin and paprika and continue to cook on a low heat for 1 minute. Add the cherry tomatoes followed by the tinned tomatoes and mix together.
Simmer on a low heat while you make the meatballs.
Combine all the meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix well so everything is combined and bound together. Using clean hands, roll the mixture into balls of desired size – roughly 1 tbsp works well. Place them on a plate as you make them. When you have all the meatballs made, add them to a clean non-stick frying pan with a little oil, one by one.
Cook on a high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, turning regularly until browned.
Tip the browned meatballs into the pan of tomato sauce, mix together, then dot the broccoli florets between them.
Scatter the Cheddar cheese on top and place in the oven for 10 minutes until bubbling.
To access Daniel’s full range of recipe’s please visit his website: https://www.daveynutrition.com/